Veggie burgers can be tasteless, but these black bean veggie burgers include natural ingredients to make them delicious with a hint of sweetness from the plantains and a kick from chipotle powder.
Yield: 4 burgers Total time: 25
Total time: 25 mins
- 1 large, blackened peel ripe plantain, sliced in thin rounds
- 1 tsp virgin coconut oil or Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 can rinsed and drained black beans
- 1/4 C hemp seeds
- 1 1/2 T tahini
- 1 T fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 C diced red onion
- 2 T finely diced cilantro or flat-leaf parsley
- 1-2 T oat flour
- 1/4 tsp salt + 1/2 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 tsp virgin coconut oil
- toppings: sliced onion, lettuce, sliced avocado
- condiments: fresh or jar salsa, vegan mayo
- All natural buns
- Fix the plantains. Heat teaspoon of oil in skillet over high heat. Add the plantains and cook 1 minute on each side. If the pan gets too dry, add a little water.
- Remove plantains from the pan. Add 1 cup of the plantains to a large mixing bowl. The rest of the plantains can be served as a side to the burger.
- Toss the black beans, chipotle powder, salt, hemp seeds, onion, tahini, cilantro, lime, and oat flour into the mixing bowl along with the plantains. Mash the ingredients with a potato masher or fork until the beans are split.
- Heat a skillet with 1 tsp oil over medium-high heat.
- Pat into patties and cook on a hot, oiled skillet. Cook for 1 to 3 minutes on each side until brown. Finish completely cooking in the skillet or transfer to a 350° F oven for ten minutes after browning.
- Serve with bun and assorted toppings.
Find more recipes like this one in my new Holistic Eating E-Course!
Recipe adapted from Kathy Patalsky of http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2015/05/black-bean-plantain-veggie-burgers-with.html
*This page contains affiliate links. You can read my full disclosure here.
Discover 15 Simple Steps to Achieve Happiness Today & For Good
Free Report Reveals 9 Reasons We Struggle to Find Happiness
Instant tips to help you feel happy whenever you want to... starting now!