If you haven’t tried a Mason jar salad recipe yet, you’re missing out! They are the perfect solution for a satisfying, nutritious lunch on the go or even as a simple weeknight dinner.
Mason Jar Salad Tips
Before we get to the recipe, here are some important tips to keep in mind:
- The order you add the ingredients is very important when preparing Mason jar salads because it is what allows you to have a fresh, crisp salad instead of a soggy one. Always add your ingredients in the following order:
- Harder vegetables (the ones that won’t break down from the dressing)
- Softer vegetables and legumes
- Green leafy vegetables and fresh herbs
- Always use wide-mouthed mason jars because it will be a lot easier to get the salad out. Pint-sized jars work well for smaller lunch-size salads, while the quart-sized mason jars are perfect for a dinner serving.
- When using an oil-based homemade dressing (like the one included in this recipe), it is normal for the oil to solidify in the refrigerator. By allowing your salad to sit at room temperature for 15-20 minutes before you are ready to eat it, the oil will be back to normal.
- It’s fun to experiment and use different combinations of ingredients. This recipe is a vegetarian salad that is filled with fresh garden goodies. Depending on your tastes and dietary restrictions, you might want to add some chicken or beef, rice, quinoa, beans or cheese. Just make sure you are adding the softer ingredients at the top to keep them fresh and crisp.
Farmer’s Market Mason Jar Salad Recipe With Homemade Dressing
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: n/a
Basic Balsamic Dressing
2/3 c. extra virgin olive oil
2 T. Dijon mustard
2 t. fresh oregano leaves
3 T. fresh lime juice
1 T. honey
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
2 medium English cucumbers, chopped
2 large bell peppers, seeded, chopped
115-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed, drained
1 c. cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half
2 heads Romaine lettuce, chopped
½ c. fresh parsley leaves, chopped
½ c. fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Dressing Preparation – Whisk the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, lime juice, and honey together in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Wash and pat dry all vegetables before prepping (if veggies are wet when you put them in the jars, you won’t get the crisp salad you want).
- Toss Romaine lettuce, parsley, and basil in a medium bowl to combine.
- Divide the dressing evenly among the 6 mason jars.
- Add a layer of chopped cucumbers to each jar, followed by a layer of bell peppers.
- Add a layer of chickpeas on top of the peppers, and then add the grape tomatoes.
- Top each jar with the lettuce-herb mixture and seal with a lid.
- Store salads in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Each salad will last 4-5 days. To serve, pour the ingredients from the jar into a salad bowl and enjoy!
*This page contains affiliate links. You can read my full disclosure here.
Discover 15 Simple Steps to Achieve Happiness Today & For Good
Free Report Reveals 9 Reasons We Struggle to Find Happiness
Instant tips to help you feel happy whenever you want to... starting now!