This is Lesson 1 of my Holistic Balance E-Course. Each day for the next 10 days, you will receive an email to inspire you to take simple actions to achieve holistic balance. Each day, we will focus on one of the following: mind, body or soul. Today, we’ll look at the mind and specifically the limiting beliefs that hold us back.
Today, we begin with the mind, and specifically the limiting beliefs that often take control of our thoughts and actions.
Control Your Limiting Beliefs
One of the most important things you can do for yourself is to get your limiting beliefs under control because they hold us back from achieving our true potential. We all have them, and learning to take control of them will set you free.
What is a Limiting Belief?
A limiting belief is a belief that you have about yourself or any aspect of life that keeps you from being the person you could be or from doing the things you could do if you didn’t hold that belief. These beliefs are often picked up from childhood – they may be things we were told by parents or teachers and have adopted as our own without determining if those beliefs are really true for us. Limiting beliefs also come out of our fears – they can be used as a self-protective means to keep us from facing our fears.
The problem with holding onto limiting beliefs is that it will only lead to suffering. If you understand the law of attraction, which states that like attracts like, you can see that the more negative our beliefs are, the more negativity we attract to ourselves.
Examples of Limiting Beliefs
- “I could never be an author even if I tried” – In this example, this person is holding himself back from something he might really enjoy because they don’t see himself like they see other authors. There might be plenty of successful authors out there, though, who had some fear that they weren’t as good as others but did it anyway – they didn’t let the fear hold them back and therefore, they became great authors.
- “I always attract the wrong men” – While this may seem true, the more a person believes it, the more they actually will attract the wrong men. We attract what we believe we can attract.
- “People are stupid” – Again, we attract what we believe, so if we believe all people are stupid, that is what we will see. If we change our perception, we start to see less of what we were focusing on before and more of what we are choosing to focus on now.
- “Life is hard” – When we view life from a state of frustration, again, we will attract more frustration, so “life is hard” will seem more and more true for us.
- “I’ll never be wealthy” – If we hold this belief, we will never have wealth because the negative belief we hold will keep us from attracting it to us.
Exercises to Control Your Limiting Beliefs
Start to notice what limiting beliefs come up for you throughout the day.
- Listen to the voice inside your head that puts yourself or others down.
- Listen to any complaining you might be doing. Be tuned in and aware of any negative thoughts and as they come up, write them down.
At the end of the night, look over your list and analyze those beliefs.
- Where do you think they came from?
- Do you want those beliefs to be true for you?
- Do you want them to hold you back anymore?
If the answer is no, start bridging your beliefs. To do this, draw 3 columns on a sheet of paper. In the first column, list the belief as it is today. In the next column, alter the belief just slightly to be more in the direction you would like your belief to be. Then in the third column, write the belief as you want it to be. By doing this, you are making small steps toward a better belief system. It’s difficult to do a complete 180 with your beliefs – better to take baby steps so you can really believe it’s possible. Here is an example: I could never be an author even if I tried > I might be able to be a good author > I am a great author!
Additional Resources For Releasing Liming Beliefs:
EFT – Emotional Freedom Technique is one of the most effective ways I’ve found for releasing limiting beliefs. It works with the energy system in the body to release stuck energy (similar to acupuncture and acupressure).
That’s it for today! I hope you enjoyed the first lesson. Lesson 2 focuses on the body and you will receive it tomorrow.
Have a holistic day!
Know someone who would enjoy this e-course? Send them this link and they can sign up for free: http://happyinspiredhealthy.com/holistic-balance-e-course/.
*This page contains affiliate links. You can read my full disclosure here.
Discover 15 Simple Steps to Achieve Happiness Today & For Good
Free Report Reveals 9 Reasons We Struggle to Find Happiness
Instant tips to help you feel happy whenever you want to... starting now!