This is Lesson 5 of my Holistic Balance E-Course. As we continue this journey of holistic balance, today we’ll focus on an aspect of the body that simply can’t be understated: nutrition is key.
If we want to have the energy we need to live a life of exhilaration and joy, we will need to provide our bodies with the proper fuel. I’m sure you will agree that nutrition and our eating habits play an important role in the overall health of our bodies.
Nutrition is Key
It has become increasingly difficult to each nutritiously nowadays because of the fast-paced lives we lead. When we are always on the go, we tend to grab easy, quick, and often unhealthy food options. Companies are constantly coming out with more and more pre-packaged foods to fit our lifestyles and make our lives easier. While it is easier in the short term, we suffer for it in the long term because most pre-packaged (processed) foods are missing the nutritional value we need.
How can we overcome this problem? A little preparation and research can go a long way and we will outline a plan to do that in the exercises section below. For now, let’s discuss what a healthy diet looks like.
A Healthy Diet
A good rule of thumb is to eat 3-4 small meals a day including:
- 30% protein
- 50% carbs (starch, grain, vegetable, fruit)
- 20% fat
- Be sure to keep sweets to a minimum and choose healthy fats and carbohydrates. Healthy examples of carbohydrates are whole grains and vegetables instead of white flour. Healthy fats are things like coconut, olive oil and avocado.
Balance is Important
You also want to make sure you aren’t going long periods of time without eating, which forces your body’s metabolism to spike up and down. By having small meals consistently throughout the day, you keep your body in balance and it will perform better for you. If you feel a twinge of hunger, it is better to grab a small, healthy snack, rather than waiting until you are starving and then woofing down a ton of food. Remember, balance is key – don’t let your body go through extreme ups and downs.
Exercises for Making Nutrition Key in Your Life
For the next two days, keep a log of what you eat throughout the day.
- Note all meals, all beverages, and any snacks you have, no matter how small. Also, be sure to record the times when you have those foods, as well as how you felt about 15-30 minutes after you ate them.
- Then, tonight, look back over what you recorded and count how many servings of fruits, vegetables, protein and carbohydrates you consumed, as well as how many sweets.
- By noting how you feel after each meal, you will know what nurtures your body and what weighs it down. Stay tuned into what your body is telling you – it will always let you know what it needs and what it doesn’t need.
If you don’t know much about nutrition, make a commitment to do some research.
- The more you know about nutrition, the more you’ll know what you should be eating to keep you healthy and energized. A great place to start is by reading this article: Why Holistic Eating is the Best Diet (even though I fail half the time).
- You might want to consider working with a nutritionist as well. Some healthcare plans, such as Keystone, are now covering nutritionists in their plans, so take advantage of that benefit.
Prepare some healthy snacks and meals for the week in advance so that you aren’t grabbing for an unhealthy substitute when you are on the go.
- HelloFresh, Blue Apron, and Sun Basket are services that provide a fun solution for healthy living. They deliver all the ingredients for healthy, delicious meals right to your door.
- Once a Month Meals is an awesome resource for prepping a bunch of healthy meals at once and freezing them in portions. So much help for busy people!
Additional Resources for Nutrition
Holistic Eating E-Course – With my 14-Day E-course, you can access the energy and vitality you deserve by learning to eat in a way that makes your body thrive! You’ll get simple actionable tips that will get you on a path to a successful way of eating right away.
Lesson 6 of this e-course focuses back on the soul and you will receive tomorrow.
Have a holistic day!
Know someone who would enjoy this e-course? Send them this link and they can sign up for free: http://happyinspiredhealthy.com/holistic-balance-e-course/.
*This page contains affiliate links. You can read my full disclosure here.
Discover 15 Simple Steps to Achieve Happiness Today & For Good
Free Report Reveals 9 Reasons We Struggle to Find Happiness
Instant tips to help you feel happy whenever you want to... starting now!